How Journaling Can Help You Stay Sane and Centered During a World Crisis

How Journaling Can Help You Stay Sane and Centered During a World Crisis

Cut through anxiety with these simple yet effective writing prompts that get your words flowing and your mind clear

Apr 1 · 15 min read

Facing Your Fears and Clearing Your Mind

I’ve been keeping a journal for years.

The Art of Questioning

Big changes are happening in the world right now, and we can either let ourselves drown in them or we can accept the change and adapt to it.

1. Shifting into a positive mindset

Example question: for each worry/fear that I wrote down, what is something related that I am grateful for?

2. Problem-solving

Example question: how can I make it easier for myself to exercise and stop spending so much time on social media?

3. Deconstructing fears

Example question: what is the worst that can happen if I lose my job, and what can I do in that case?

4. Dive into self-discovery

Example question: what is it about staying at home that is driving me mad?
“The quality of your life is a direct reflection of the quality of the questions you are asking yourself.”―Tony Robbins
Now, this is only one example of how you can use questions to help you cope and change your mindset in this time of extreme change. Now let’s explore the full potential of what happens when you start thinking in questions.

Questioning Everything

“If I had an hour to solve a problem and my life depended on the solution, I would spend the first 55 minutes determining the proper question to ask… for once I know the proper question, I could solve the problem in less than five minutes.” — Albert Einstein
My recent questioning journey began when I started feeling the uncertainty brought by the coronavirus pandemic.
  • How can I plan my next steps despite all the external unpredictable variables?
  • What can be sure of right now, and what can’t I?
  • How can I prepare for the worst?
  • How can I keep my business afloat while focusing more than ever on serving my customers?

Unlocking Great Answers

In an interview with Tim Ferriss, Josh Waitzkin, author of The Art of Learning, shared a special method he uses to get the best answers to his most important questions.

Three Questions to Start With

If you like the idea of prompting yourself with questions but don’t know where to start, here are three of the most powerful questions I ask myself on a regular basis and which have profound effects on my creativity, productivity, and well-being.

1. The focusing question

In his book The ONE Thing, Gary Keller suggests that one of the main culprits for our lack of clarity and productivity is our tendency to focus on too many things at the same time.

2. The self-parenting question

Let’s face it: when times are hard, sometimes all we need is someone to hold us and take care of us, like a child looking for comfort, reassurance, and motivation from a loving parent.

3. The opportunity question

Most of us have a negativity bias: that is, it’s much easier for us to focus on and remember the unpleasant moments of life than the positive moments of joy.

Embrace Uncertainty and Be Gentle With Yourself

Comments

Popular Posts